Sunday, January 24, 2010

Eco-Friendly Rambeling

"To be a hippie you must believe in peace as the way to resolve differences among peoples, ideologies and religions. The way to peace is through love and tolerance. Loving means accepting others as they are, giving them freedom to express themselves and not judging them based on appearances" (Skip Stone).

With that definition I must add that loving our earth and protecting and cherishing it is vital. When I first started creating bath & body products I looked at different packaging, played around with packaging and soon recognizes that being eco-friendly can be challenging. And yes I'm a tree hugger :)

The soap I create, are they eco-friendly? Well, I belief so and here's why. I don't add ay other chemicals, and soap is created with sodium hydroxide (lye) and technically can't be made without it. By the time you use the soap, the sodium hydroxide has been saponified (little to no trace could be the thing here to consider). Anyway, I am getting of track, eco-friendly packaging can be challenging. Plastic - not good for the environment if it just ends up on the landfill. I will often wrap my soaps in handmade paper (though not by me) because I like it better than cardboard. The labels, well they are standard Avery labels that give me the opportunity to use them for more than just one thing (I am not always out buying new labels). I think we need to do more to protect the planet we live on and even preserve it. It is my intend to do what I can, and hope that when you purchase from me that you recycle the bottles and jars. Perhaps you can find another use for the now-somewhat-scented paper-strip that has been around my soap.

It can be challenging sometimes that while we want to protect earth, there are elements of earth that we are supposed to be using for food and resources. For instance, I use palm oil in many of my soaps but in order to obtain that, a palm tree may have to be cut down. I think we need to learn how to do things in proportion and stop obsessing over large quantities.

It will be challenging to find packaging that is eco-friendly but I am on a mission!

0 comments: