Thursday, January 21, 2010

Food of the Week

I am changing this up a bit and will bring you on Thursday the Food of the day. Being that I am from Germany, my food taste and cooking tends to be very European - though I can make a mean Homemade Macaroni & Cheese too. My focus will be on European Foods however as that is what I know best. Today I will start of with one of my absolute favorites!!!

Hungarian Goulash

What Hungarian Goulash? What does that have to do with Germany? Probably nothing, but it is one of those foods I grew up with and I still cook today and it's a super-duper hit in my house.

And you will need:

2 lbs. beef stew meat
1 lg. onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 to 3/4 c. catsup (optional)
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1/4 c. flour or cornstarch depending on the thickness you want
1 tbsp. brown sugar (I don't use it, but some call for this)
2 tsp. salt (optional)
2 tsp. paprika (I use a little more than that)
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 c. water

Cook and stir beef, onion and garlic in a little butter, shortening or no-stick spray until beef is brown. Drain. Stir together water, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, paprika and mustard. Pour over meat. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Mix flour with small amount of cold water and stir into beef mixture. I sometimes use cornstarch, depending how thick I want the gravy. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Serve over hot egg noodles. I found that egg noodles are the best or if you are familiar with German tradition I would use Spaetzle (a form of egg noodle). Serves 6-8 which means in my house they will be nothing left!

What I like about this recipe is that I can make it as spicy as I am in the mood for. Sometimes I add some pepper in order to do that. So now experiment and enjoy!

0 comments: