Sunday, February 14, 2010

Eco-Friendly Rambeling - Upcycle, Downcycle, Recycle

I want to upcycle. I have saved skirts and other clothing to engage my sewing machine into some activity to upcycle those items. I know what I want to do, but for one reason or another I haven't quite gotten there yet.
Upcycle is recreating something new from used and existing material that is useful in some capacity, its preventing, reducing and eliminating waste because it doesn't get thrown away.

There is also downcycling, the other end of the spectrum which constitutes being the material of lesser quality while saving and/or reducing energy, waste and so forth. Alas recycling is simply the process of either downcycling or upcycling.

Quite of few artisans pride themselves in being a creator of upcycled wear or simply for art purposes. I have seen utensils being used for jewelry, the material from old knitted sweaters unraveled and turned into something else. I love this process and the functionality. I try to be very aware of what I purchase, and how we impact our planet. Yes, I'm a tree hugger! But I am not as extreme to protest! I believe in being proactive rather than being reactive. We know what loitering and trash can do to our world, we don't need anymore evidence, do we?

I like that plastic bottles are now turned into shopping bags. I like that a lot more companies are going with the green movement. Some of the things I do, well the plastic bags you may receive your item in (if you purchase from my stores) comes with my son's medicine. His IV pods are tuckered into small plastic bags. I save them for one purpose or another. Yes, it is those little things that can help and make it happen.

But I think it is a matter of not only being conscientious, but having the ability to look at an existing item and transform it into something new.  I am hoping to transform the clothes that I have saved into something new!

0 comments: