Monday, February 1, 2010

Food for thought - its getting personal :)

So today I want to talk about why we do what we do...or why I do what I do. I think that recapping, remembering why we do certain things allows us to stay focused and continue to push forward even when we feel a little discouraged. Some stories are more heartbreaking than others, and some stories will make you want to shed a tear or stand up with hands in the hair applauding.

As a former foster child, I dealt with a lot of well things I shouldn't have, some that others are to blame for and some that I have taken accountability for. Irregardless, when I was in my late teens when my oldest (almost 18 now) was just a few months old, I knew...I mean I just knew I wanted to help other foster children. At 33 I entered my master degree program in which I will be graduating from this year. It took my son's illness to give me the plunge to follow what I belief I need to or should be doing. At the same time, I have always loved crafts and it doesn't matter what it is...I like to paint, crochet, bead, macrame, sew and well my bath and body products. Each bringing and requiring a different skill. In 2005 I started to macrame after giving up crocheting that I had done for 16 some years. In light of macrame I wanted to design my own beads..so I went out bought wood beads and a wood burner..and from there I started well..wood burning. With the macrame and wood burning, Hippie's Creations was born. My craft(s) allow me to meditate, relief stress and alas are my own form of therapy. When my youngest son was diagnosed with a rare disorder I entered back to school (and that was difficult or not as I just had finished my bachelor's in a different field..you're gonna laugh... its accounting). When my son underwent a liver transplant and the judge agreed that my son is disabled for medical reasons but also due to developmental issues, I knew I needed something. Something that I could do from home that could still generate income. I continued with my studies as my son was fighting and healing. In March, 2009 I found soap. Having been always the one in where I love nature and loving the most natural of what it is that I can find, I found soap was awesome. Who knew that I can make soap in my kitchen. My love affair with soap began.

I recently decided to separate the soap and crochet (yes I have started it again..lol) away from my jewelry and wood burning and bring it back to its roots. This of course means that the soap and crochet items will need a new home. So I decided to have Hippie's Bath & Body and Hippie Crochet on etsy, but on my domain site you will find it all. I know that this may be confusing but to me that allows it for me to be organized for now. Who knows eventually the bath and body will need to be completely separated. However, I don't want to take away the essence of who I am and what I do. Which is an individual who appreciates and loves all art and crafts forms and you never know what I will come up with next or what I may venture into.

So why am I writing about this? Well, has I mentioned that I have been going through some transformations and I want to take it to the next level. As my son is facing more medical issues it becomes more clear to me that my priority is to be at home and to be available to meet his needs, while not leaving out my other children. I have been able to support organizations that are dear to me in the process, fulfill my dream of being a counselor and have my craft store(s).

So here it is, I started my business out of love for art and eventually turned it into something more because of a need that I had to meet. Now that I have spilled some of me, I'd like to hear why you have started to your craft and/or started your business.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Wow! What a journey you've had. I am full of admiration for you.

Why art for me? I used to be an accountant and gave it up to practise reflexology which I'd learned to help hubby recover from his back injury. Whilst building the reflex business, I returned to art to fill my time. I enjoyed it so much that 14 years later I am still painting. I have to make time for it now, but its so precious, I do it willingly :)

Hippie's Creations said...

It is interesting where life leads us. Thanks for sharing!!!