On cold days we would always have soup and Lentil Soup is one of my favorites. It is not a super hit in my home, but occasionally I get away with making it.
Lentil Soup - Linsen Suppe
You will need:
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 leek (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (finely diced)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 4 ounces lean bacon
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped, plus extra to garnish)
- 8 ounces frankfurters (sliced) - I suppose you could use hot dogs :)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Let's make soup:
- Rinse lentils thoroughly under cold running water (brown lentils don't need to be soaked b4 cooking).
- Heat oil in a lrg pan & gently fry onion for 5 min till soft. Add leek, carrot, celery, bacon & bay leaves.
- Add lentils & water to the pan & slowly bring to a boil. Skim the surface & simmer (half-covered) for 45-50 min or till the lentils are soft.
- Remove piece of bacon, cut into sml cubes (trimming off any excess fat) & return bacon cubes to the pot.
- Add parsley + frankfurter slices & season w/salt & pepper to taste pref. Simmer gently for 2-3 min, remove bay leaves & serve garnished w/the extra parsley.