I love love love Pfannkuchen even without Apples. I make them for dinner or or snacks. Instead of Maple Syrup however, the traditional items to use are jam, jelly or marmalade (depending on where ya from), or nutella (chocolate spread) or cinnamon and sugar (note step 13 in recipe). I tend to use a bit more sugar so that they pancakes are already sweet and do not need much sugar on them. So I don't use apple often but this is a very nice twist on a very good recipe!!
Apfelpfannkuchen (Apple Pancakes)
- ⅔ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1½ sticks butter (¾ cup)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Confectioners sugar
- Combine the flour with 2 teaspoons sugar and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk together.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the eggs and milk, and beat until smooth.
- Melt ½ stick (¼ cup) butter in a saucepan.
- Add apple slices and cook gently until apples are softened.
- Mix 2 Tablespoons sugar and cinnamon together and stir gently into apples.
- In a 6-inch frying pan, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Pour in batter so that it is about ¼-inch deep.
- Cook until the bubbles on top of the batter burst and the pancake begins to set.
- Spoon about ¼ of the apples over the pancake and cover with more batter.
- Allow it to set, and then gently turn the pancake to brown it on the other side.
- Repeat to make 3 more pancakes.
- Dust with confectioners sugar and serve.