One of the things I miss are waffles. Yea I can get waffles here, but are they the same? Nope. You call them Belgium Waffles.. I call them American .. haha.. I grew up with this recipe, which may not differ much from the Belgium and/or American recipe. I think the difference is however that I do add *some* sugar to the batter and that *I don't* use syrup. I use powdered sugar.. and while still sugar in a weird-funky way find this option healthier than syrup which appears to have *more* sugar.. and in reality is simply too sweet for me.
Anyway, the other day when I set up in Kent Store - they had this huge yard sale that benefits their community (awesome!) and this is found where I found a waffle iron for ... $1.00. Couldn't pass it up I was not leaving it there... nope
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 7/8 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Gratings of lemon (optional)
- Cream the butter and add the sugar, beating to a cream.
- Add egg yolks and beat thoroughly.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together and add to creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Add the lemon peel and blend thoroughly.
- Cook on hot waffle iron and serve.
Now I must find the time to make some!!