Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Artist of the Week - Undiscovered


Again this week, I am featuring an artist undiscovered! Parker is the owner of ShawPaw Designs and have been selling coin necklaces for some time. Here is his story according to him:  

I have been selling coins for a while. I am also really into art and decided to combine the two hobbies of mine. I have been selling these necklaces across Oklahoma and the other great 49 states with great success. Therefore, I decided to offer these great items to you, wherever you may be.
I am a member of the Choctaw tribe. These necklaces are made after traditional style necklaces with quality materials. I do not use plastic on my necklaces. The beads used can range from glass, bone, bronze, gemstones (mulltiple colors), sterling silver, leather, be and metal / silver-plated. The necklace strap itself is made of either waxed yarn or sinew. The bezel securing the coin is either silver/gold-plated. The coins range from the late 1800s to the mid 1900s. I use Indian Cents, Buffalo nickels, Sacagawea $1, and even flying eagle cents (1857-58). I spend approximately 40-55 minutes making each necklace, using certain techniques and care to detail. Each necklace is given a name as each piece of sinew or yarn guides me to the final outcome or colors and designs.

Coins are removable from the bezel.

Necklaces come with piece of flint stone, which was used to make tools, etc. These pieces of flint are drawn at random out of a large bag and range from many color spectrums! These stones were found with authentic arrowheads in Kiowa, OK.

For more of these beautiful necklaces, visit the ShawPaw Designs Shop on Etsy! 

0 comments: