Sunday, May 9, 2010

Eco-Friendly Notions

A little while ago I mentioned some tips of the things we can do to remain eco-friendly. I wanted to add a few more things that I think are very important to not only myself but to our planet.
One of the things we need to focus on, encourage ourselves and be persistent on is to Reduce our waste. It's important to recycle what already exists but if we can simply reduce it from the get-go, it will mean volumes. This means we have to simplify! By making the effort to reduce what you own, you will naturally purchase less/create less waste in the future.

And of course reduce your own purchases. Think!! Is the item totally and absolutely necessary?  When you are thinking about buying something, try the 30-Day Rule -- wait 30 days after the first time you decide you want a product to really make your decision.

Avoid creating trash wherever possible: when ordering food, avoid receiving any unnecessary plastic utensils, straws, etc. (ask in advance), buy ice cream in a cone instead of a cup, don't accept "free" promotional products, buy products with the least amount of packaging, etc. Every little bit of trash avoided does make a difference!  This may be harder to do than one things. I mean can you really pass up free gift? Sure you can!!

I like what the internet has done - even if it seems a bit impersonal for staying in contact. Gone are the letter writing days - this is could unless you use bleach-free recycled paper - then no problem. But not writing letters and staying connected via internet will save a few tress! No? 

Know as I am writing these tips I am turning my life more and more eco-friendly - to the best of my ability. It is tough some times since my youngest son has some medical challenges and needs i.e.e feeding pump - which uses plastic bags. I am turning is food containers into candle containers - or perhaps utensil holders for the kitchen?

I am learning with you and hope we all start to take care of our planet just a little more!

0 comments: