Monday, September 13, 2010

Our local Farmer's Market

This week I will present you with some local vendors at the Scottsville Farmer's Market!  From Food, to Jewelry to herbs and more...

There is always something going on at our local Scottsville Farmer's Market...from celebrating Tomatoes and honey, we celebrate Grandparents day and so much more.

I met Jerry and Laura from Buck Island Farm last year, when it was both our first year and the local farmer's market. We spent 3 days a week together.. now just one day a week due to my own schedule.. but Jerry and Laura continue to give us an array of vegetables and fruit...

These tomatoes come from Buck Island farm and are one of the best around IMO (in my opinion). Jerry and Laura have given me some of their scrap tomatoes for my wonderful tomato soap. Yes, you read this right... tomato soap.. its funny because people will often read "tomato soup" .. I love people and I am glad we all can find something to laugh about. Tomato soap is tremendously healthy not only as a food, but as a soap. These claims are not by me, nor can I make such claims but the folks that use tomato soap believe it helps with eczema and psoriasis.

This soap is made to naturally cleanse and balance oily and troubled facial skin. Tomatoes are a great source of carotenoids like lycopene, beta-carotene, and vitamin E, which are effective antioxidants. This soap also helps to refine enlarged pores and soothe skin.This soap is made the old fashioned way combining canola oil, coconut oil, palm oil with water and sodium hydroxide, also known as lye. The sodium hydroxide reacts with the oils and creates a rich, emollient soap.For your face: tomatoes are fabulous for balancing and maintaining moisture and pH levels while also tightening pores.*


But Buck Island Farm has much much more than tomatoes.. from HUGE Lima beans to green beans to yellow squash...to onions and potatoes...to cutting boards and aprons and pear honey and more... Buck Island is the first vendor on the left when you come in.. Jerry and Lora are always willing to help and give you the best produce they possibly can. Sometimes you can see their granddaughter helping out a little.




So come to the Scottsville Farmer's Market and make an introduction with Buck Island Farm... meet the faces behind the awesome food Jerry and Laura because they both rock!







* I make no claim on the accuracy of benefits, information is solely based on research! I do use all my own soaps that I make and I'm in love!

0 comments: