Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day Seventeen - A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.

This is a difficult one to answer because since finishing school in September I haven't picked up another book to ready. I had been reading text books for 3 years and as I am thinking about this now I guess I did open my mind to some possibilities but I can't say I changed my view on this.

Addiction - Disease Model or not?

The Disease Model deems that with this thought that it is a lifelong disease involving biologic and environmental sources. Further, it inclines that within this model - addiction is hereditary (genetically linked). However, it seems it requires an environmental type of trigger (trauma).

Perhaps there is some truth in this and the fact that some people don't become addicts (despite the genetic link and/or trauma) is that they are stronger people? They are the extreme opposite of their parents (Caretaker)?

Only part of me seems to accept this while the other part of me says.. umm no so maybe I haven't changed my view fully and am still sitting on the fence...

0 comments: