|Can usually only be found at Markets and Carnivals|
- 1 1/3 cups honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup candied mixed fruit
- 1 tablespoon light sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Spray bottom and sides of a 10 x15 inch glass pan with a non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C).
- In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, heat the honey and 1/3 cup sugar in a microwave for 1 minute. Pour this mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to the honey mixture. Stir well.
- Add and mix in by hand the candied fruit, oil, and spices.
- Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups more flour. Knead dough to mix (dough will be stiff). Spread into pan. Bake for 20 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into squares. May be frosted with sugar glaze or eaten plain. Best if stored for 2 weeks.
Here are some other links that could be useful:
German Sweets: Lebkuchen, Lark, Lark Tarts, & More (English)
|Can be found at World Market!|