Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Exposing your work!

I find myself to have a love-hate relationship with etsy and even artfire - I find that I need to list often and with over 150 items in the store.. not to shabby. I also find that in some areas you need to be in circles, guilds and what-not to help promote you - share and even just be recognized. But - it also takes HARD work. Promoting and exposing and selling yourself and your work ALL THE TIME!

Luckily we have twitter... hootsuite and Shop Marketing Helper to help us promote ourselves shamelessly. But I find there's a lack of interaction between seller and online venue on other online selling venues.


I am still easing into it.. only having been a seller there for a few months and listing items. One of the things I noticed right away is on twitter.. when you list an item HAF is tweeting it to its followers! So not only do I tweet it to the 1472 people that follow me - they tweet it to 17,409 of their followers... now this is some great exposure!

I think that *some* people still find it difficult to fathom what social media and social networking can do for you! I love the fact that the HAF Shop understands the importance of networking and letting people know what's out there.

There is some drawback to picture size and perhaps quality - but I think if you have a good editor then even that will be irrelevant.

What I really like about this place is the welcoming feeling - even as an outsider - the comradeship - the understanding that we all are trying to make a living at the things and crafts we know best. It's within the forums    you will find like-minded people - who understand and appreciate your work. No they may not purchase your creations - but then again they may - but what you will find is a support that I haven't seen or found anywhere else - and I tend to be more lost on the "I am an outsider".

I have a busy schedule - brick and mortar store - creating - taking care of my children - making sure all therapies and dr. appointments are in order for the youngest - networking - scheduling my items so you can see them - and more creating - and somewhere in there I should have a social life (I don't - not really). I am too busy promoting and creating - and the fact that Handmade Artist Shop helps me in some part is worth it to me. It even makes me want to "schedule" time in to make sure I participate - not sure I had this feeling anywhere else...

So if you haven't tried listing a few items - perhaps you should take a peek.
I still have more items to list - but at this moment I am heading out to meet a friend for coffee - because coffee is the stable in my life :)

10 comments:

MakinTheBestOfIt said...

Welcome the HandmadeArtists! We are really sincere when we say we want to get you seen and will do whatever we can to this end. By the way, your frog afghan is too cute for words!

Handmade Artists' Forum and Shop said...

Hey thanks for the mention, we are the lucky ones to have you with us. Glad you noticed the social promotion. Just wanted to clarify a bit, we auto tweet almost all new listings on 9 different twitter accounts with a combined following of 150,000. So we work hard to get your work scene and that is just the tip of what we do LOL
Anyway welcome and thanks for the lovely words

Tracie Dean said...

I am a new follower. Thank you for letting us know this stuff is out there. I had no idea!!

Yankee Burrow Creations said...

I'm still fairly new to HAF myself...and I love it!
Debbi
-yankeeburrowcreations

Petra Monaco said...

I knew there was more eh? I am glad to be part of it.. I like the personal aspect :)

Dee Bibb said...

I'm fairly new to HAF....but I truly love the friendly community and Andrew and Kimberly are personally involved int he everyday activities on both the forum and in the shop!

lisianblue Kris said...

Nice post!! I've been a member of the forum from almost the begining - doesn't matter where you have a shop or even if you don't, the forum is about supporting people who make handmade creations. I was really happy they opened up the shop - and such a reasonable fee. Andrew & Kimberly & many others work hard to get us seen!

Cari Baker said...

Welcome Petra to your home away from home. HAF is an amazing place and then some. Glad to have you with us and hope to see you in the forum (that is of course when time allows… family is always first!)

Super article, have a great night!

Cari

TamsJewelry said...

I have met some fantastic people through HAF! Nice post,I Love HAF!

Larissa said...

Welcome to HAF!