Saturday, May 19, 2012

Start with Zoo - end with Pasta



Yesterday I went on a field trip with my son's 2nd grade class to the D.C. National Zoo. I'm one of those mom's  that at times thinks kids should enjoy those field trips without parents - but at the same time I am glad I went with him. Sometimes his sensory issues and anxiety show their head but we were able to manage them. There were a crazy amount of people there yesterday and in every building we went were that many people and after the third building it became a little too much. 


Anyway - what he did see he loved. My bonus? Seeing Betty White pass through as she was heading for a book signing.. couldn't a picture. but I think I can live with that :)  

At Lunch we had company from this Duck. My son just thought it was so cool to see Ducks hanging out


 He also just loved seeing the Orangutan - I just had noted that the zoo keeper was feeding them and so I asked my son to stick around for when they would let him out to eat.

My son's face.. was... well full of excitement.

If you have been to the D.C. Zoo you know the fish are inside - and they are HUGE. Lennon loves water and fish and did well for about 5 minutes and then the crowd got to him... but this things are HUGE!

When we got back it was dinner time!
This week we settled on homemade pasta with a meat sauce.
This week we obtained the recipe from Allrecipes.com for a Basic Pasta Recipe. 







This reminds me more of a Spaetzle (german egg noodle) more than anything.. But nonetheless they were delicious.. and I am eager to purchase a Pasta Machine because frankly I love the idea of knowing what goes in my food - don't you?
The sauce was made from canned tomato sauce (not ragu or prego) - added a big can of whole tomatoes and about 3/4 of tomato paste. Browned some meat - sauteed one onion and  3 garlic cloves. Add Italian Seasoning, Oregano, Pepper and little Salt.

While this may not be 100% from scratch - it was too late to cook up fresh tomatoes for a sauce (that needs really all day). But that's on my list in the future...

Overall it was a LONG and exhausting but fun day - ending it with a delicious note of Pasta! 

0 comments: