Saturday, December 1, 2012

Menu Planning

Its been for awhile now that we had struggled with putting decent meal on the table due to either lack of funding or lack of planning. I highly recommend planning your menus for at least a week. We started this process in October. I planned the meals out for 2 weeks to coordinate with payday. On payday I went shopping and for $135.00 dollars we had dinner for 14 days!

This months we planned for the entire month but only bought three weeks worth of food for $167.00. Some of the items we will be cooking we have a little extra to freeze for a future date as we are all terrible about leftovers so-to-speak.

This weeks menu

Saturday ~ Pulled Pork BBQ with Cole Slaw and smiley face potato/fries
Sunday ~ Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes and Veggies
Monday ~ Spaghetti with Meat sauce
Tuesday ~ Fish, Rice and Veggies
Wednesday ~ Taco Night
Thursday ~ Mac & Cheese, Hot Dogs, Baked Beans and Veggies
Friday ~ Hamburgers, Baked Potato, Veggies

I realize that this is not from scratch cooking and some nights are specifically meals that I won't eat but since I am working - I won't be here and the "guys" can just enjoy what they would like.

I can tell you that the pulled pork was absolutely amazing. The pork roast had been cooking all day in the crock pot and the last two hours added the BBQ sauce - made the cole slaw dressing and mixed it with the slaw - and OMG to die for.

Tomorrow's meatloaf is also going to be pretty good - but maybe not quite as good as the BBQ today. The best past is that we had BBQ Pork left over for 2 more meals - winning!!

I love that some of them are quick meals to fit into our schedule - that some meals I can start in the morning (crock pot) and they'll have dinner with little work - and that in some instances my kids know exactly what is on the menu and I don't have to tell them "I don't know!".


0 comments: